Québec’s Transportation Electrification Strategy 2013-2017
On November 1st, 2013, the Québec government announced its four year Transportation Electrification Strategy. Here is a summary.
Transportation Electrification Strategy 2013-2017
Under its Transportation Electrification Strategy, the Government is undertaking several major initiatives, representing $516.1 million in investments.
- Rapidly increase the use of electrical transportation
- Take advantage of Québec’s electrical expertise
- Build the future around a strong and productive industrial network
- Make the Québec State an example to be followed
A maximum rebate of $8000 will be offered on the purchase of an electric vehicle for the next three years.
1. Rapidly increase the use of electrical transportation
- In total, the government is aiming to introduce 12 500 additional new electric vehicles by 2017.
- A $115-million fund will be established to further encourage the use of electrical transportation.
- A deployment plan will be developed for 5000 charging stations across Québec.
- Québec’s cities will feature electric taxis: an ambitious plan for the “greening” of 525 taxis.
- Montréal’s Saint-Michel axis will become electric: a large new project.
- Montréal metro’s blue line will be extended.
- A light-rail system will cross the Champlain Bridge.
- Montréal will become an electromobility city.
2. Take advantage of Québec’s electrical expertise
- A world-class research and advanced technology institute will be established in Québec: the Institut du transport électrique.
- The government will mobilize the electrical industry to develop transportation solutions for the future.
3. Build the future around a strong and productive industrial network
- More than $220 million will be dedicated to initiatives that build a productive industrial network.
4. Make the Québec State an example to be followed
- Secretariat will be created to coordinate the government’s strategy.
- The government will undertake the progressive and mandatory electrification of its fleet.
- This will be accompanied by the installation of 1000 charging stations near government buildings.
- The government will adjust the legislative and regulatory framework to facilitate the use of electric vehicles.
- The government will implement a promotion and awareness campaign in cooperation with interested partners.
- The government will support municipalities in their efforts to electrify transportation.
Transportation Electrification Strategy 2013-2017 – summary (PDF, 2 pages, 92 Kb)
Transportation Electrification Strategy 2013-2017 – entire document (PDF, 113 pages, 1,37 Mb)