Will Ontario move forward with new electric vehicle incentives ?
Major news in Ontario to encourage motorists to buy electric vehicles in Ontario !
In this article, in this mentioned that :
- Ontario is negotiating with the federal government to eliminate the harmonized sales tax (13%) for electric cars by 2018.
- Starting next year, there would be a four-year ”free overnight electric vehicle-charging program” in condos and houses.
- A ”cash-for-clunkers” to replace low to mid-income households’ old gas powered vehicles with new or used electric vehicles.
- Ontario will not implement a Zero-Emissions Law that imposes penalties on automakers that do not sell enough electric vehicles.
- Establishment of ”Global Centre for Low Carbon Mobility” to promote research and development of greener transportation.
- Change the building code to require that new houses with garage to be built a 50 amp 240V charging station.
- All new commercial office buildings will be required to install charging stations.
Important to note : the new incentives have not been officially announced by the Ontario government.